DROGHEDA GRAMMAR SCHOOL – TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT SAFETY STATEMENT
The safety, health and welfare of students, staff and visitors in Drogheda Grammar School is of paramount importance to the management of the school. Measures are in place to ensure that in so far as is reasonably practicable risk to life and the potential for accident occurrence is kept to a minimum.
With this in mind the following procedures have been put in place with regard to traffic management on the school campus.
Designated Parking Areas:
With the expansion of the school campus it has become important to identify the specified parking areas.
- Mornington Road Entrance – staff, parents and visitors using the Mornington Road Entrance should use the parking facility across from the dining hall ( the old tennis court) beside the gym hall. Some additional parking is located along the front of Eden View House and outside the west flat located at the dormitory block. Parking is not permitted along the driveway on both sides and under the windows of the dining room (facing the River). To park in these areas poses a significant risk to the health and safety of our students and staff.
- Mill Road Entrance – Staff, parents and visitors using the Mill Road Entrance should use the designated car park area. Parking is not permitted along the driveway on both sides from the Mill Road Entrance to the car park. Parking is also not permitted on the roadway outside the main school – this area is reserved for emergency vehicles only and parking in these areas poses a significant risk to the health and safety of our students and staff. Drivers should ensure that they follow directional arrows to ensure safe traffic flow. Parking is prohibited in the set down area.
Care should be taken when entering and exiting all carpark areas to ensure the safety of our students, staff and visitors.
Students should use the pedestrian crossing to safely cross the car park. Cars shall refrain from parking on pedestrian crossing. Cars should not drive on to the pedestrian crossing when it is in use by a pedestrian.
Disabled/restricted mobility visitors to the school
Visitors to the school with restricted mobility should in the first instance use the Mill Road Entrance and avail of the disabled parking in this area.
Staff/Parents /Visitors to the school are advised that the maximum speed limit on both entrances to the school is 10km/ph. We ask that you respect this speed restriction at all times.
Buses are requested to use the Mornington Road bus bays when delivering/collecting students. Care should be taken to ensure the safety of our students using these buses.
Students should wait for buses on the footpath and in the designated areas.
All persons driving/parking on the school campus.
In the interest of the health, safety and welfare of our students and staff all persons driving /parking on the school campus should ensure at all times:
Due diligence should be taken when driving on the school premises at all times.
Younger children who do not attend the school shall be supervised by parents/guardians at all times and not permitted to run/play on the school grounds when school is in session.
In order to facilitate the smooth running of drop off/pick up – all persons driving on the school campus should park in designated areas and vacate the area when students have been picked up/dropped off.
Students using Public/Private Buses
Drivers are asked to use due diligence when buses are parked in the car park. Students may be accessing /leaving the bus.
Students should ensure that they leave the bus in an orderly fashion and be mindful of vehicles in the vicinity of the bus.
From time to time Drogheda Grammar School hosts special events. During these times safe traffic management is highly important. The following procedures are in place for such events.
- Volunteer members of staff/PTA/Parents are posted at each entrance in the capacity of stewards – These individuals will be briefed prior to the event and are competent and capable.
- Volunteers will wear appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) – High Visibility Jackets and name badges identifying them to members of the public.
- One volunteer per entrance will be equipped with a two way radio – to enable communication between persons on each gate, enabling them to identify issues that may arise such as full capacity in one area/freed up spaces.
- It will be the role of these volunteers to ensure the smooth management of traffic is so far as is reasonably practicable.
- Volunteers must ensure to direct visitors to spaces in a manner that does not obstruct any vehicles or entrance/egress.
- Good communication between gates will ensure the smooth management of traffic.
- Each gate will also have competent students equipped with hi vis vests to assist in the smooth running of the car parks.
- At no time should a volunteer or student place themselves at risk when directing traffic.
Over Flow Parking
Weather permitting over flow may be directed on to the playing pitch at the Mill Road entrance. This decision however, should only be made in consultation with a member of senior management and used as a last resort.
Identified Risks and possible controls
In the instance that a car is parked obstructing another car or exit point – Stewards are advised to notify Anita Harmon with car model and registration number and the information will be relayed over the school public address system.
In the event of a fire/medical emergency in school building. You will be advised which entrance route the emergency services will use and should ensure ease of access along this route. Do not put yourself at risk at any time.
Dr. Robert Berney
Chairperson Board of Management