Drogheda Grammar School Physical Education Programme
Introduction and Rationale
Physical Education applies a holistic approach to the concept of physical activity for young people. It recognises the physical, mental, emotional and social dimensions of human movement, and emphasis the contribution of physical activity to the promotion of individual and group wellbeing.
- To promote the acquisition and application of skills appropriate to each activity and knowledge of safety relevant to the activity.
- To develop and understanding of the benefits of participation in physical activity now and in later life.
- To develop an appreciation of skillful and creative performances in a variety of sports activities.
- To develop equality of opportunity for boys and girls, whilst recognizing the aspirations of ethnic and cultural minorities.
- To promote the development of interpersonal skills (organization, co-operation, initiative and responsibility) and to heighten self-esteem, whilst encouraging tolerance of and respect for other groups and individuals.
- To provide the necessary stimuli to encourage the development of decision making, imaginative thinking and problem solving
- To encourage students to develop personal qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm and an appreciation of honest competition and good sportsmanship
- Acquiring and Developing Skills
- Selecting and Applying skills, tactics and compositional
- Knowledge and Understanding of Fitness and Health
- Evaluating and improving performance
- Developing physical & mental capacity
- Competence in the performance of a range of activities and the ability to analyse these in the context of technical, physiological and biomechanical implications for the performer
- The ability to invent, compose, and choreograph physical activity in structured, imaginative ways
- The ability to make decisions relating to physical activity while appreciating consequences in both tactical and moral contexts
- An understanding of the principles, rules, and purpose of different categories of activity, and the criteria for mastery of each
- An understanding of the physiological, sociological, aesthetic and biological knowledge relevant to physical education
- An appreciation of the value of participation in selected physical activities as a lifelong endeavour
- An understanding of the principles of fairness and tolerance in interaction with others
- The desire and the capacity to acquire a positive sense of self.
Lesson Time Allocation
Junior P.E. Double lesson 1hr 20 mins
4th Year Double lesson 1hr 20 mins
Senior P.E. Double Lesson 1hr 20 mins
The syllabus includes a number of areas of study representative of a range of practical activities each of which has particular characteristics and contributes to the attainment of physical education.
Adventure Activities, Aquatics, Athletics, Dance, Invasion Games, Net and fielding games, Gymnastics, Health Related Activities.