GUIDANCE & COUNSELLING DEPARTMENT
JANUARY ACTIVITIES SUMMARY
- CAO application, One to one meetings with all 6th years.
- Eunicas personal statements to finish.
- SUSI Grant applications.
- DARE applications with students by appointment for 1 hour session.
- Open Day attendance.
- Continued visiting speakers to DGS from main feeder colleges and PLC colleges.
- 6th years one to one appointments for pastoral counselling.
- Stress Management and Mindfulness group sessions for 6th years.
- Continued Counselling, OT, CAMHS, GP referrals.
- January UCAS deadline for personal statements.
- January 20th CAO online deadline for discounted rate.
- Personal EIS statements to be completed in one to one sessions.
- Pastoral counselling continues.
- 6th Years results of mock exams evaluated and goal setting.
FEBRUARY & MARCH ACTIVITIES SUMMARY
- Individual appointments for TY year regarding Aptitude assessments. 1:1 sessions to interpret and deliver results to students. Emphasis is on building esteem and confidence while highlighting aptitude for chosen careers.
- TY projects to be completed.
- PLC applications with 6th year students.
- Eunicas applications with 6th years and personal statements and interview preparation.
- HEAR and DARE applications to be completed.
- PLC Open Days.
- PLC applications prioritised (online).
- PLC interview preparation one to one.
- Apprenticeship applications assistance.
- Subject choice and levels assistance with 5th, 6th years post Mock exams.
- Start Subject choice with TY students.
- Further student reference and personal statements preparation for Eunicas.
- Grant SUSI applications.
- TY assessment group interviews.
- Inspection of research projects.
- Pastoral counselling appointments continued.
- Interviews and portfolios preparation for restricted courses.
- Grants – SUSI applications open.
- Financial support for further study via bursaries applications.
- Interview assessments for Transition year students regarding career project.
- To complete personal statements, CV’s and student references.
What mental health supports are available during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Please see link below,
Effective Study: A Resource for Parents
You may find this useful and you may find that it would be more beneficial at a time of readiness. Take care of you and your family and if you have queries or concerns please contact me at c.finegan@
This resource page for parents is based on the content of another resource page for students.
- be self-directing and will have made some progress in their studies
- aspire to what effective and efficient students do in their studies
- consult important people in their lives when in need of help and encouragement
- have access to a competent guidance counsellor
- Some of the ideas have been tried and don’t seem to work
- They are confused by the number of possible things that can go wrong
- They need further information about any of the ideas
- They need help in making a start
- They need someone to check that what they’re doing is effective.